Diabetes is one of the greatest health challenges facing Qatar and the world today. With a prevalence of nearly 17% among the Qatari population, diabetes has become a key priority healthcare challenge for the country. As an integral part of Qatar National diabetes Strategy, Diabetic Research strategic pillar serves as a catalyst to promote innovative research on both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes and related metabolic disorders.
“The primary goal of research is to gain fundamental knowledge and enhance the understanding of incidence and prevalence of social, molecular, and genetic basis of the diabetes, CVD and associated risk factors.”
Such research efforts will pave the way for the identification of therapeutic targets and the development of novel preventative and therapeutic interventions along with new treatment modalities for this globally devastating disease.
DIABETES RESEARCH POLICY
National Diabetes Strategy supports range of innovative research activities from basic and fundamental research to applied and clinical research for improving health of the population. To do so the policy intends to foster research training and mentoring opportunities among research professionals by improved collaboration at regional, national and international levels.
This research policy intends to address the following objectives:
- To build a robust research ecosystem for diabetes in the State of Qatar.
- To facilitate research in basic and advanced areas related to diabetes and CVD risk factors detection, prevention, care and cure, and
- To build research capacities in the state of Qatar.
- Charter of Ethics: Integrity, Conflict of Interest, Compliance with Law.
- Privacy, Security and Confidentiality, Sharing of Data.
- Informed Consent.
- Intellectual Property Rights.
- Guidance for research on animal and human subjects
- Policies, Rules and Regulations for Research Involving Human
- Guidelines for Human Stem Cell Research
- Gene Transfer Policy
- Guidelines for Collection of Biological Samples and Existing Data
- Guidance on Adverse Events and Unanticipated Problems
- Guidelines for Animal Research
- Animal Policy Appendices
- Guidance for Research Application
- IRB registration and Assurance (Local & Foreign)